- Be informed about the format & content of the test
- Try to study in a space with good lighting & minimal distractions
- Try to study with soft music or in a quiet place. Turn off the TV & put away the phone
- Find a time that you can study regularly. Try not to study when hungry or tired.
- Set Goals!!!! And stick to them!!!!
- Don’t cram!!! Doing a little bit every day is more effective than doing a lot at once.
- Repetition is important. Re-read notes or materials several times.
- Take short breaks regularly. Aim to take a few minutes break every 25 minutes or so.
- Challenge yourself while studying. Every so often, cover your notes & summarize them out loud or in writing.
- Create study aids to help you stay organized.
- Make an list of main ideas from your notes
- Create a timeline of important dates/events
- Make flash cards or important vocabulary
- Have someone quiz you on material you have studied
Test Day Tips
- Get a good nights sleep – nothing bests being fully rested
- Have a healthy breakfast
- Bring water to your exam – Hydration is your friend
- Pack extra pens/pencils
Review tips for various learning styles
Tips for the visual learner
- Where possible, use visual aids – charts, maps, videos
- Use color coding (different color highlighters) to focus on main ideas
- Make lists of important/main ideas
- Quickly review material by looking at pictures/headings
Tips for the Auditory learner
- Recite information out loud
- Form study groups or study with a friend (choose carefully)
- Speak out loud when making flashcards or reading through notes